40 Things to do in Ottawa When You’re 40 Weeks Pregnant
You are so done.
You want your baby to be healthy and come in his or her own time but this has been the longest 40 weeks of your life, and you're ready to meet your baby!
So, you could keep testing old wives tales and hoping labour begins, or you could try a few of our forty favourite activities that Ottawa parents can do when they've reached their due date.
1. Take a nap! For some, it seems counter intuitive to get more rest when they could be walking and lunging and stimulating labour, but we often find rest is just as useful for getting labour going if your body is ready.
2. Play board games at the Loft Lounge.
3. Get a prenatal massage.
4. Test your problem-solving skills at Escape Manor. You are locked in a room and have to solve a series of clues to escape!
5. Tentatively schedule your newborn photography session.
6. July through September visit Northern Lights, the Sound and Light Show on Parliament Hill . A nightly event, the show documents prominent figures and events throughout Candian history.
7. Write a letter to your baby.
8. Buy a baby book so you can document all your baby’s milestones.
9. Have a sunset picnic at Westboro Beach.
10. Install your baby’s car seat.
11. Finish up the nursery with a trip to Snuggle Bugz.
12. Stock up on nutricious snacks to fuel your postpartum recovery.
13. Fondue Monday’s at Absinthe.
14. Prepare to breastfeed with a private consultation from an Ottawa IBCLC.
15. Beat those hot flashes with gelato at Montovani.
16. Prepare slow cooker freezer meals for easy to make dinners after you baby comes.
17. Visit the National Gallery of Canada.
18. Go to a movie.
19. Visit your chiropractor to ensure everything is lined up for your baby’s birth.
20. See an acupuncturist. They know a few things about getting labour started.
21. On Wednesdays, head over to Yoga on Parliament Hill. Modify any poses for comfort.
22. Picnic at Andrew Hayden Park and visit the lighthouse for fabulous views.
23. Indulge in a pedicure.
24. Buy yourself flowers at Lansdowne Farmer’s Market.
25. Spend an afternoon at ByWard Market.
27. Go window shopping in Westboro Village.
28. Paint some pottery at Mud Oven.
29. Buy a baby carrier.
30. Go for a Capital Country Drive.
31. Feed the animals at Omega Park.
32. Make labor-aide!
33. Play with Pinterest! Create some new boards for your parenting adventures with pins for making baby food, nursery rhymes, baby activities, etc.
34. Visit UC Baby Ottawa for 3D/4D ultrasound. Late pregnancy ultrasounds can be a little tricky when it comes to visibility but it’s a great way to feel connected before your baby’s birth. The heartbeat bears make a great gift for grandparents-to-be!
35. Sign up for a baby registry and make it easy for your baby shower attendees to pick the perfect gift. If you’ve already prepared your baby gift registry, go over it and make sure your needs haven’t changed.
36. Hire a birth doula! It’s never too late, unless your baby has already been born. In that case you should…
37. Hire a postpartum doula.
38. Shop for nursing tops and dresses.
39. Write a postpartum plan! We’d love to help!
40. Get some serious rest and relaxation. Whethers its just a quiet noght in, a long soak in the tub, or an afternoon of Netflix, your body has been working very hard for the past nine months. Put your feet up!